President’s Message August 11, 2023
Our first two events, the Ice Cream Social on August 18th and the BKMB Picnic on August 25th, are in immediate need of volunteers. New and returning parents, please consider helping with the preparation of these events if you can’t attend them in person. For us to host these fun events for our kids, we need volunteers like you. Please don’t wait to sign up! Go to https://www.southingtonbkmb.com/sign-ups/ to sign up now.
Returning parents, if you volunteered last year, you need to sign up again at the link above on the improved website. We want our chairpersons to be prepared for the upcoming season, but they can’t do that unless they have volunteers.
New parents, please don’t be nervous about volunteering. We know everyone has a busy schedule, and many hands make light work. Only have a few days or hours to help out? We have many different areas that are in need of help. You will get to know the ins and outs of BKMB when you volunteer and meet the parents of the BKMB members that your child marches with. If you are unsure what to volunteer for, please email Dawn Dickau at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can brainstorm ideas where you can help out together.
Band Camp is this Monday, August 14th! A few things you and your student might want to get ready for August 14th at 8 am:
- A large water jug
- Sunscreen (apply before leaving the house, then again if needed at camp)
- Bug Spray
- hat and sunglasses
- comfy athletic lace-up sneakers (not brand-new ones)
- beach towel for sitting on
- instrument and music
New students and student leadership will be attending the Monday, August 14th session at 8 am. Be early! The Band Directors’ motto for every practice and event:
Early is on time, on time is late!
- Monday, August 14th, 8 am to 12 noon – Band Camp for new members and band leadership
- Monday, August 14th, 4:30 pm to 5 pm – Ad drop-off
- Monday, August 14th, 5 pm to 9 pm – Band Camp for all members
- Tuesday, August 15th through Friday, August 25th, 8 am to 12 noon – Band Camp
- Tuesday, August 15th through Monday, August 21st, 4:30 pm to 5 pm – Ad drop-off
- Tuesday, August 15th through Thursday, August 24th, 5 pm to 9 pm – Band Camp
- Ice Cream Social, during evening session of Band Camp, Friday, August 18th at SHS parking lot
- Friday, August 25th, Senior Quotes due to Program Guide
- Friday, August 25th, 12:30 – BKMB Picnic at Southington Drive-In Pavilion
- Monday, August 28th, 6-9 pm – Sectionals practice
- Wednesday, August 30th, 6-9 pm – Full rehearsal
- Thursday, August 31st – First Day of School
- Friday, September 1st, 2:30-5 pm – Full Rehearsal
- Saturday, September 2nd, 8 am to 12 noon – Mini Band Camp
Other note-worthy dates (please refer to your student’s printed calendar from mini band-camp in June for all practice, football, and competition dates)
- Wednesday, September 6th, 6-7:30 pm – Executive Board Meeting (all are welcome)
- Wednesday, September 6th, 7:30 – Band Backers General Meeting
- Wednesday, September 10th, 6 pm – Music of the Knight Meeting
- Wednesday, October 4th, 6-7:30 pm – Executive Board Meeting
- Wednesday, October 4th, 7:30 – Band Backers General Meeting
- Wednesday, October 18th, 6 pm – MANDATORY Music of the Knight Meeting
- Saturday, October 21st – Music of the Knight!
Parent Preview is Wednesday, August 23rd (corrected date!) with a general Band Backers meeting beforehand. All parents are requested to attend the Band Backers meeting at 6:30 pm with a preview of the show after the meeting.
MOTK Program Guide Deadline is Approaching! If you have been contacted by the Program Guide Committee about missing information for your child’s sponsor ads or P2P, it is up to your student and your family to make sure all the information is received by August 21st by 5 pm. No ads will be accepted after that time – don’t wait until the last day. Our Program Guide Committee needs to have the completed book sent to the printer shortly after August 21st, so no exceptions can be made to this deadline.
Don’t forget, if you want an “ad” for your student or a Person-to-Person (P2P) message, they are also due on August 21st.
For any ad/P2P to be credited to your child’s points balance, ALL pieces of the ad must be received by August 21st: sponsor form, advertisement, and payment. Any missing information will delay your child’s account being credited points.
The Program Guide Committee will be at SHS before the evening Band Camp sessions on August 14th through August 18th, and on August 21st at 4:30 pm.
MOTK Bears and BKMB Merchandise
You will be able to order MOTK Souvenir Bears and purchase merchandise on Thursday, August 17th and Friday, August 18th at drop-off from 4:30-5pm. Bears need to be ordered in advance for delivery at MOTK.
If you missed the deposit deadline for the Disney trip, another drop-off time is available. Be at SHS at 8:15 pm-8:45 pm on Friday, August 18th to reserve your student’s spot for the Disney trip. Follow this link to print out the required forms for the Disney Trip: https://www.southingtonbkmb.com/2023/06/20/disney-letter-of-intent/
The next Disney trip installment is due on Wednesday, September 6th, at the Band Backers Meeting.
Southington Athletic Shop Varsity Jacket Fitting
The Southington Athletic Shop will be at Band Camp on August 21st at noon to assist students with sizing their varsity jackets. Varsity jackets take 10-12 weeks to produce, so make sure you get your order in quickly. Visit https://www.southingtontheathleticshop.com/bkmb/ or call 860-426-9441 for more details.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
BKMB Band Backers President