Band Backers President Message, July 31, 2023
Good afternoon, BKMB Band Backer Families,
Band Camp is less than two weeks away! A few things you and your student might want to get ready for August 14th at 8 am:
- A large water jug
- Sunscreen (apply before leaving the house, then again if needed at camp)
- Bug Spray
- hat and sunglasses
- comfy athletic lace-up sneakers (not brand-new ones)
- beach towel for sitting on
- instrument and music
New students and student leadership will be attending the Monday, August 14th session at 8 am. Be early! The Band Directors’ motto for every practice and event:
Volunteer Sign-Up Sheets are on the website now. Current BKMB parents, please sign up again. We’re using different sign-up sheets than last year, so please visit the websites below. (If you are a chairperson for an event, you do not need to put your name on that list.)
- Regular Season Volunteer Sign-Up: https://www.southingtonbkmb.com/sign-ups/?sheet_id=3
- Music of the Knight Volunteer Sign-Up: https://www.southingtonbkmb.com/sign-ups/?sheet_id=2
Volunteers are essential for everything BKMB does. It is necessary that everyone pitches in to help the band and color guard, otherwise fun events may have to be cancelled if there aren’t enough volunteers.
Currently, we are planning the Ice Cream Social and the Band Camp Picnic. These happen during Band Camp, so we need volunteers for these events soon. Volunteers make a difference!
Executive Board Meeting is scheduled for August 9th at 6 pm. All are welcome to attend, however, only Board members can vote at this meeting. The 2023 Season budget will be one topic of discussion.
- Wednesday, August 2nd, 6-9 pm – Color Guard and Percussion practice
- Wednesday, August 9th, 6-9 pm – Color Guard and Percussion practice
- Monday, August 14th, 8 am to 12 noon – Band Camp for new members and band leadership
- Monday, August 14th, 4:30 pm to 5 pm – Ad drop-off
- Monday, August 14th, 5 pm to 9 pm – Band Camp for all members
- Tuesday, August 15th through Friday, August 25th, 8 am to 12 noon – Band Camp
- Tuesday, August 15th through Monday, August 21st, 4:30 pm to 5 pm – Ad drop-off
- Tuesday, August 15th through Thursday, August 24th, 5 pm to 9 pm – Band Camp
- Ice Cream Social, during evening session of Band Camp, Friday, August 18th at SHS parking lot
- Friday, August 25th, Senior Quotes due to Program Guide
- Friday, August 25th, 12:30 – BKMB Picnic at Southington Drive-In Pavilion
- Monday, August 28th, 6-9 pm – Sectionals practice
- Wednesday, August 30th, 6-9 pm – Full Rehearsal
- Thursday, August 31st – First Day of School
- Friday, September 1st, 2:30 pm to 5 pm – Full Rehearsal
- Saturday, September 2nd, 8 am to 12 noon – Mini Band Camp
Parent Preview is August 24th with a general Band Backers meeting beforehand. All parents are asked to attend the Band Backers meeting at 6:30 PM with a preview of the show after the meeting.
BKMB Program Guide
The next ad drop-off before Band Camp is Wednesday, August 9th at 5:30 pm. Don’t forget to submit your Person to Person (P2P) ads, and to create your ad for your student! All ads and P2Ps are due on Monday, August 21st at 4:30 pm. If your ads are missing information or payment, you will be contacted by the Program Guide committee. Some businesses may have to get approval from other locations for their ads so they will take longer to submit. Keep that in mind as the deadline approaches.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out! Thank you for your support of the Blue Knights Marching Band.
Band Backers President